Meet Alex Maultsby
For twenty-five years, I have focused my practice on employment law—because I enjoy the human element, using the law to find solutions for clients that face people-problems in the workplace.
This focus means talking to clients on the phone or in person, helping them achieve objectives within the many laws that operate at the state and federal levels. My own experience is quite broad and varied, across many industries and many issues, whether in litigation or in a counseling and advising role. I work to keep our corporate clients in compliance and to defend them when they are sued – or sue on their behalf, such as when non-compete and trade secret issues are at stake.
Of course, this overall role requires knowledge of Title VII, Title IX, the Equal Pay Act, the ADEA, the details and interactions of the ADA and FMLA and workers compensation, the FLSA, non-compete, and trade secret laws, contract law, many state laws, and more. Sometimes clients need a good listener, a patient advisor, and a practical thinker. At other times, clients need an aggressive and dedicated advocate who understands the ins and outs of litigation.
This is what I do.
Select Honors and Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, for Labor and Employment (2007-2021)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Labor & Employment – North Carolina (2015-2017, 2020-21)
- Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite for Labor and Employment (2004, 2006-2012, 2014-2019, 2021)
- Named to “The Best Lawyers in America” list for Employment Law-Management (2009-2021)
- Best Lawyers selection for Litigation-Labor & Employment in North Carolina (2012-2021)
- Selected to Super Lawyers Business Edition list, Labor and Employment (2013-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell’s top (“AV”) Peer Review Rating
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- University of North Carolina School of Law (J.D., with honors)
- Davidson College (B.A., cum laude); Phi Beta Kappa